Technical copper sulphate pentahydrate

Technical copper sulphate pentahydrate
About product

Copper sulphate pentahydrate technical 25 kg - Inorganic salt of sulfuric acid and copper, also known as copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate - CuSO4x5H2O - formerly called copper vitriol or blue stone. Crystalline, strongly hygroscopic substance with a characteristic blue color and fine crystals. The size of the crystals resemble sugar crystals. Copper sulfate is highly toxic to aquatic organisms. After getting into the natural environment, it is not biodegradable and is not disposed of naturally. It accumulates in surface and ground waters, causing long-term changes in polluted waters.

Copper sulphate is used in the prevention of hoof diseases in cattle. More details on preventing bovine finger technopathy in our blog .

Copper sulphate is an essential ingredient in the formulation for chemical copper plating - details on our blog . It is also difficult to prepare a working liquid for catalytic copper plating without the use of copper sulphate - for those interested, the material on the blog . Copper sulphate is used in electroplating baths for copper plating with the use of electric current - more on our blog.

Anhydrous copper sulphate is a highly hygroscopic white substance. Only after hydration it acquires a characteristic blue color. From the pentahydrate state, it can be restored to the anhydride by first heating to 102 degrees Celsius, at which temperature it undergoes a strongly endothermic transformation into the trihydrate, and then, after providing another portion of heat and heating to 197 degrees Celsius, another transformation makes anhydrous sulfate copper(II). Due to its high toxicity and fungicidal properties, copper sulphate is commonly used in the form of an aqueous solution as a fungicide in the wood preservation process. It is used in the process of electrolytic copper plating in the so-called acid baths and for the electrolytic production of copper anodes. Copper sulfate is also used in veterinary medicine. Particularly willingly used to combat fungal infections and hoof rot in equines and other ungulates. Due to the high toxicity of copper sulphate to aquatic organisms, special care should be taken during transport and use to prevent uncontrolled release into the environment. Copper sulphate is not biodegradable and after a single introduction to a water reservoir it is not removed naturally, causing long-term toxic effects.

Signal words:

  • H350- may cause cancer
  • H360D- may cause harm to the unborn child
  • H302- Harmful if swallowed
  • H318- causes serious eye damage
  • H317- may cause an allergic skin reaction
  • H373- causes damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure
  • H410- very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects

Phrases specifying the conditions of safe use:

  • P201 - Obtain special instructions before use
  • P308+313 - Get medical advice/attention if exposed
  • P501 - dispose of contents/container to the manufacturer of the intermediate
  • P273- Avoid release to the environment
  • P260- Do not breathe dust
Product inquiry
To order, send a product inquiry
Chemical raw materials and intermediates